top of page
Image by Jim Robinson

About Us

Our Mission

The Lodge endeavors to see that its members are educated, informed and encouraged to be involved in all aspects of Freemasonry. 

Our Vision

Lisgar Lodge will promote its members to be responsible dedicated members in Freemasonry, Workplace, Society and Family.  Promoting, encouraging and improving its members in leadership, fellowship, fun, fraternity and family. A man who becomes a member of Lodge Lodge will be expected to be an involved member of his Lodge, the Community, and his Family.

White Textured Background

Message from the Worshipful Master

Fraternal greetings,

My name is Howie Nore, I have the privilege and honor of being the Worshipful Master of Lisgar Lodge #2 for this present year.

Our Masonic Lodge has been prominent in the area of Selkirk since 1871.

April 2027 brings about 150 years that Lisgar Lodge has stood proud in the Selkirk Community. We will continue to uphold the proud traditions of our Lodge while striving to remain relevant — not only in the lives of our brethren and their families, but also within the wider community we serve.

 The Grand Lodge of Manitoba has also celebrated 150 years of light and service. Freemasons come from all walks of life, united by a common goal: to become better men and to make a positive difference in the world around us. We take pride in the many contributions our brethren have made to Selkirk and District. We are proud supporters to the Lord Selkirk School Bursary Fund, Interlake Regional Health Hospital and Little Britain United Church programs. We look forward to building upon that legacy for generations to come by accepting new members to our fraternity.

Together, we will strive to make our Lodge stronger, more vibrant and more visible and supportive in our community and continue to live by the timeless principles of Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth.

Howie Nore 2 IMG_5938.JPG

 Our History: The Early Days of Lisgar Lodge

 In a petition letter dated December 5th, 1870, addressed to the Grand Lodge of Canada issued by the petitioners John Frazer, Dr. John Shultz, Thomas Bunn, George Black, Robert Stewart Patterson, William Kennedy, Alex. McArthur and Fred Bradley sought dispensation to form a Masonic Lodge, to be known then as “Manitoban” at Lower Fort Garry. 

Although the petition itself is not available, it is evident from the reply of the Grand Master (which is in the Lodge Historical records) that the petitioners had asked that Robert Patterson be Worshipful Master, John Frazer, Senior Warden and George Black Junior Warden. However, since Robert Patterson had already been appointed Worshipful Master of Prince Rupert’s Lodge, the Grand Master considered that “the interest of the order would be served best by the nomination of another brother” and appointed Brother John Fraser as Worshipful Master, Brother Black as Senior Warden and Brother Bunn as Junior Warden. 

At the first election of officers, May 8th, 1871 Brother Black was elected Worshipful Master, Brother Bunn as Senior Warden and Brother W.J. Piton as Junior Warden and these are the names that appear on the warrant as charter officers of the Lodge. Brother Piton who was a delegate to the Grand Lodge of Canada at the time, wrote a letter dated Montreal, July 31, 1871, asking among other things that the name of the Lodge be changed from “Manitoban” to “Lisgar”. The Warrant was forwarded with the change of name on October 4, 1871 and since the meeting of November 1871 the name has been Lisgar Lodge. Interestingly enough there is no mention of a motion in the minutes regarding the new name but the reason could have been that the word “Manitoban” was rather indefinite and also the meetings of the Lodge were held in the county of Lisgar which derived its name from the Governor-General of Canada. 

The first meeting of this, the second oldest lodge in Manitoba, was held in Lower Fort Garry on February 20th 1871 and the thanks of the lodge were tendered to Brothers Black, Piton, Lawson and Kelland for the zeal shown in procuring a room and making arrangements necessary for the starting of the Lodge. Brother Bunn was also thanked for obtaining the loan of the regalia, furniture, etc., belonging to the original Northern Light Lodge. On February 27, 1871, S. Bedson and A. S. Watt were both initiated by Worshipful Brother Patterson, these being the first candidates to be initiated into Lisgar Lodge. The third meeting was also held in the Lower Fort Garry, but on April 3 the Lodge moved to the second storey of Brother Black’s store in Mapleton.

Lisgar Lodge seems to have flourished during the years it met at Saint Andrews.  In August 1875 it was decided that the old regalia be put away carefully and not used again in the lodge.

The Regalia and the Volume of the Sacred Law which had been presented to the original Northern Lights Lodge in 1864 by Arch-Deacon Hunter are still in possession of Lisgar Lodge.

With the formation of the grand lodge of Manitoba, Lisgar Lodge became Lisgar Lodge #2 on the G. R. M., And this designation was first used in the minutes of June 7, 1875.

The warrant from Grand Lodge of Manitoba is dated April 30 1877.

July 31st 2017 following the sale of the lodge building on Eaton Avenue, Selkirk. Lisgar Lodge moved to their new home at The Little Britain United Church Hall 5879 Highway 9, just south of The Lower Fort Garry, coincidentally very close to Lower Fort Garry being their original home location in 1871.

bottom of page